Thursday 22 January 2015

I Read... We Were Liars by E Lockhart

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends- the Liars- whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution.  An accident.  A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth

How could I read that descriptor and not want to read this book? 






Everything that I saw about this book said not to give away the ending... and I agree.  It's hard to talk about the plot without giving away too much.  The story follows a group of teens who spend every summer on the family's private island.  One fateful day, an accident changes everything.  

I couldn't put this book down.  It is an easy read, and as you peel back the layers of this interesting family, you will find yourself wanting to learn more.  I really didn't expect the ending- it was a clever twist on what could have been a very cliched story.

I hate to be so vague on a book review, but the nature of this book requires it!  I think that a lot of readers will enjoy this book- anyone who likes a good mystery, anyone who likes character-driven stories, anyone who just likes an interesting and easy read.  The narrator is a female, so it may be harder for a young male reader to relate to her, especially when it comes to her romantic relationship.

Food for Thought... what is the best twist ending that you have ever seen or read?  Novel, short story, movie, TV... let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment