Wednesday 11 March 2015

I Read... The Interestings

The last book that I read, The Interestings, seems to be a pretty divisive book- people either love it or hate it.  I picked it up because it had a lot of good buzz.  I read the first chapter, wasn't impressed, and put the book aside for a few months.  I decided to give it another chance and just motor through the book to see what all of the fuss was about.  While I'm glad that I gave the book another chance, it was not one of my favourites.



The book starts with a group of kids at summer camp who call themselves "The Interestings."  The story follows their lives to see where these youths, who seemed to have so much potential and promise, end up as adults.

The main character, Jules, feels lucky to be chosen to join The Interestings.  She dabbles in acting, and ends up in a more stable career as a therapist, married to a very average man, and mother to a very average daughter.

Jules' best friends, Ethan and Ash, end up married.  As they always dreamed, they become very successful in creative fields.  The contrast between Ethan and Ash and Jules and her husband highlights those feelings of inadequacy that all of us feel at some point.  Why didn't I see success like he did?  If I had done something differently, would my life have turned out differently?  Am I good enough the way that I am?  Is there something better out there?

For me, the premise of the story and the themes that are explored are promising.  However, I just wasn't engrossed in the story.  I kept thinking that it was like the Seinfeld of books- nothing really happened.  None of the characters were likable enough for me to really care about, and I just wanted Jules to stop whining.

Food for thought... Has there been a book that everyone seemed to like, but just didn't do it for you?  What was it?


No comments:

Post a Comment